Re: Matt 19:9

From: Steve Puluka (
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 06:20:47 EDT

>Subject: Re: Matt 19:9
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:51:41 -0700
>The question is, did the early church fathers understand the
>MH EPI PORNEIA of Mt 19:9 as denoting preterition (as excluding
>from consideration the case of PORNEIA) or as denoting the
>negation, that is, if a man divorced his wife because of PORNEIA,
>and remarried, then he did not commit adultery in so doing?
>I don't see anything in the translations cited below that suggests
>anything other than the preterition view.
>Paul Dixon

I'm not clear on this distinction, but perhaps we are on the same page. I
read the Patristic evidence as permiting the divorce only for fornication,
but not any further marriages for either party.

Beyond that I really can't speak to the grammer distinction on negation or
exclusion. Could you elaborate on this please?

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
Byzantine Catholic Archeparcy of Pittsburgh

Get Your Private, Free Email at