Re: OU DUNATAI hAMARTIAN in 1 John 3:9

Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 17:37:13 EDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:28:18 -0500 Steven Craig Miller
<> writes:

> I'm not so sure. Can anyone show me a clear example of a "habitual
> with the negative particle "OU" where the resulting meaning clearly
> that one only occasionally does this thing, but one does not do it
> on a habitual bases? I would like to see the NT usage which justifies
> this interpretation.

In the same context is a ready example. Verse 6b says:

No one who sins has seen Him or has known Him.

This makes sense only if the present tense hAMARTANWN is
habitual/characteristic. Any other nuance would suggest whenever
someone sins he gives away he has never seen or known God,
certainly a commentary to the effect he never was saved.

The habitual/characteristic nuance is compatible with the fact
that one who has seen and known God does still commit acts
of sin in an aoristic sense (2:1), though not

This teaching of John, of course, is consistent with that of His
Master's who taught, "by their fruit you shall know them" (Mt 7). The
message in 1 John, however, is more for those who believe,
that they may know they have eternal life (5:13). By implication,
however, it also assures them that those who had gone out from
them were really not of them - even if they did profess faith.
Their lifestyle of sin and of walking in the darkness gives them

Paul Dixon