Granville Sharp

From: Griffin, James R SWL (
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 15:44:15 EST

Is anyone on the list familiar with the Granville Sharp construction?

(article + substantive + KAI + substantive)

Substantives must agree.

Example: TOUS...POIMENAS KAI DIDASKALOUS, "the shepherds, that is, teachers"
(Eph. 4:11)

Shepherds and teachers are referring to the same group, with "teachers"
being a further description of "shepherds".

This is a rule of construction that I have been taught in Seminary. What
think ye? Is it legitimate? The rule is much more involved than what I have
stated, but this is the basis of it.