Re: 1 Kings 1:15 (LXX)

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 06:11:04 EST

<x-flowed>At 01:32 23/11/99 -0500, wrote:
>I take hH SKLHRA as an attributive of the third position, further qualifying
>the indefinite substantive GUNH. If hHMERA were not involved, I would
>translate, "I am a strict woman." But how might we understand hHMERA, here?

Brenton's translation supplies the verb "I live", so that it reads:
" I live in a hard day, and I have not drunk wine or strong drink ......"

This absence of "I am"/ "I live" is common in Hebrew, as in Latin, etc., too.
The MT of this phrase is a standard use of the noun+ noun-adjective used
predicatively; it reads literally " woman | severe-spirit" --- no
verb.. Hence the JPS translation " I am a very unhappy woman." -- as in
the NAB, too.
Perhaps the NRSV " I am a woman deeply troubled; " best catches the nuance
involved in the word RUACH.

What interests me in the LXX is the way a concept which in the original is
very much an interior one becomes an external one in the translation.. Is
this another example, I wonder, of the inherent difficulty in rendering
RUACH into Greek?
I would appreciate any comment on this from the "Big Greekers".

Hope this helps

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger ]