Re: 1 Kings 1:15 (LXX)

From: Steve Puluka (
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 05:55:13 EST

<x-flowed>>At 12:52 23/11/99 -0600, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>>So Brenton's text reads: GUNH hH SKLHRA hHMERA EGO EIMI, yes?
>Yes, as also in the apparatus to BHS.

For what it is worth the translators of the Septuagint to Old Church
Slavonic render this:

There is no ambiguity here. But I don't know if this one is worth much. In
many cases seeing how native Greek speaking missionaries in the Ninth to
Tenth century translate a text can give us a window to how the orgiginal
Greek was read by native readers. These missionaries are also believed to
have grown up in the slav territories of the Byzantine Empire and actually
knew both tongues from their youth. But while the Old Church Slavonic
translation is attributed to these Greek speaking missionaries, this passage
may very well have been translated by native Slavs.

The Psalms and all of the texts used for readings in our services are
almost certainly translated by the Greek missionaries. In the Septuagint
this would include Genesis, Proverbs, Psalms, and Isaiah in total and
selections from other prophetic works. The oldest complete Septuagint
translation of non-lectionary readings we can document for certain is much
later, fifteenth century. But this may also have been based on an early
Greek translator version we no longer have.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor

Get Your Private, Free Email at