From: Jim West (
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 13:56:27 EST

At 01:50 PM 11/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
> When used of a man, GENNAW is usually translated something like
>"beget" (e.g., Ps. 2:7: "You are my son, today I have begotten you"). But
>what does beget mean? Or better, what does GENNAW mean?

Bart- generally I render it "fathered". I.e., in the geneaology of Matt. I
translate "Abram fathered Isaac... etc"

> Does it mean
>"make a woman pregnant?" Or "to be/become the father of a child that has
>just been born?" Or something else? Could it mean "to give birth" even
>if applied to a man (or to a God)?

I dont think "to give birth" really works when used of a male. This is one
of those places where the science of translation has to make way a bit for
the art of translation.

Jim West, ThD