From: Bart Ehrman (
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 13:50:22 EST

   When used of a man, GENNAW is usually translated something like
"beget" (e.g., Ps. 2:7: "You are my son, today I have begotten you"). But
what does beget mean? Or better, what does GENNAW mean? Does it mean
"make a woman pregnant?" Or "to be/become the father of a child that has
just been born?" Or something else? Could it mean "to give birth" even
if applied to a man (or to a God)?

-- Bart D. Ehrman