From: Daniel L Christiansen (
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 00:09:12 EST

Bart Ehrman wrote:

> So, would you translate Ps. 2:7, "You are my son, today I have
> you" ?

    As I mentioned in my post, I would never lock myself in to *one*
translation of
any given term, and indeed, I admit that

> > Certainly, there are times when "born" or "give birth" will be
> > best translation for GENNAW. And we never should try for a
> > lexical correspondence between languages (apart from purely
> > terminology). But, if I *had to* choose one rendering, I would opt
> > "produce."

    Of course, to become too specific about this verse would require
discussion which goes beyond the bounds of B-Greek. But, without
bringing theology
into this, I think it is probably clear that the speaker of Psalm 2:7 is
referring to an actual day of birth. So, in answer to the specific
question: yes, I
think that the context of Psalm 2:7 would better be served by "produce,"
than by
birth." "Produce" may not be perfect here, but still better than "give

Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible
Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street
Portland, OR  97220
(Also Portland Bible College, Prof of Biblical Languages)