Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17 & 2 Corinthians 7:9

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 11:16:50 EST

"Shuv" (turn, i.e., to God; repent) and "Tshuvah" (repentance) are indeed the words
used in several Hebrew translations of the Greek text at the verses cited above.
See, for example, the United Bible Societies' Hebrew New Testament (1983), and the
translation by Shem Tov in 1380 C.E. (Matthew only). In additional, the Syriac
Peshitta of the 4th century C.E. uses the Aramaic cognates for "shuv" and "teshuvah"
in those verses: "tuv" and "tivuta." In the Old Testament, "shuv" and "tshuvah" are
used frequently in speaking of Israel's "return" to God as a covenant community, in
the sense of repentance or turning away from their wrongdoing.

Concerning METANEOW, Kittel reports (volume 4, p. 999), "The terms have religious
and ethical significance along the lines of the OT and Jewish concept of
conversion....What the religious language of the OT expressed by SHUV, and the
theological terminology of the Rabbis by TESHUVAH...the NT, like the Jewish
Hellenistic writings, expresses by METANOEW and METANOIA."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org