Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17 & 2 Corinthians 7:9

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 09:22:00 EST

<x-flowed>As I mentioned in passing in my first post, METANIOA is still spoken and
used as a word itself in the preaching of our Church. This means over the
centuries we have found ANY translation of the word falls short of its power
in the original.

Perhaps this is why the word repent was created by these medieval writers.

As Gary has aptly pointed out METANIOA is a powerful and deep theological
word that has a role in HOW one lives the Christian life.

None of this type of discussion is appropriate on list.

If one is translating early Greek texts from the Patristic writers,
Apostolic Fathers, New Testament and LXX one must select a word or phrase
that best works.

Personally, I feel change of heart, repent, or conversion can all work
depending on the context and the audience reading the translation.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
http://arrive.at/byzantinecatholic