Re: tc-list On-line image of P.Oxy. LVI 4499

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 09:45:23 EST

On Thu 16 Dec 1999 (00:09:20), scarlson@mindspring.com wrote:
> It should be a stigma (for '6'), but I'm not sure what an uncial
> stigma/ digamma should look like. In printed Greek texts, such as the
> pages of Erasmus' Greek NT I've seen, the stigma looks like a final
> sigma with an elongated horizontal upper line. However, I can't tell
> the difference between the stigma in the MS and a normal sigma.

 Stephen,

 In my printed modern-Greek Bible, the numeral 6 (Stigma) is exactly like
 an English capital S, with the top half somewhat larger than the bottom
 half. There is a diacritical mark like an apostrophe ' immediately after
 it, thus: S' ("Ess-dashed"). The ' indicates that it is a numeral, not
 a letter.

 Qoppa, BTW, looks like a 4 with the vertical bit above the crossbar missing.
 Plus the ' to indicate "Numeral". That's 90. Ninety-one is 4A', etc., to
 Rho (P'), one hundred.

 There's no Sampi, so I can only imagine how it might look! (900). I would
 imagine that Sigma (200) is written C', Sigma as in IHCOYC.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF