RE: Ign. Eph. 15:3, Romans 5:12

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 10:00:26 EST

Personally, when Paul uses a different construction I don't say to myself
"he just meant the same thing as if he had said..." because if he had wanted
to say ... he would have said .... and so I look for what might be a subtle
but profound difference.

For an inquiry into a very profound difference, look at the similar section
in Romans 5:12

Romans 5:12 DIA TOUTO WSPER DI ENOS ANQRWPOU H AMARTIA EIS TON KOSMON
EISHLQEN KAI DIA THS AMARTIAS O QANATOS KAI OUTWS EIS PANTAS ANQRWPOUS O
QANATOS DIHLQEN ****EF W**** PANTES HMARTON (breathing marks omitted)

The words EF hW are commonly translated "because." I personally object to
this. In the same sentence Paul uses DIA for that purpose. The words are
literally "upon which" as in Acts 7:33:

Acts 7:33 EIPEN DE AUTW O KURIOS LUSON TO UPODHMA TWN PODWN SOU O GAR TOPOS
****EF W**** ESTHKAS GH AGIA ESTIN

This leads me to the conclusion that, to Paul, the first phrase is the
antecedent of the second, not the result. That is "all died, upon which [EF
W] all sinned" not "all died, because [DIA] all sinned"

Bill Ross
To download John 1:1-3 in Koine set to music, go to the download page at:
http://members.xoom.com/woundedego