Re: Ign. Eph. 15:3

From: Bill Rodgers (billfred@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 12:08:25 EST

Bart and Carl:  I would like to make two points:

l.  You may well be right  about hINATI.    This is certainly what has happened with
GIATI in modern Greek.

2.  But I think I might still read it another way.  The full sentence reads:  PANTA
OUN POIWMEN WS AUTOU EN hMIN KATOIKOUNTOS, hINA WMEN AUTOU NAOI KAI AUTOS EN hMIN
QEOS hMWN, OPER KAI ESTIN KAI FANHSETAI PRO PROSWPOU hMWN, EX hWN DIKAIWS AGAPWMEN
AUTON.

I would translate:  "Since he dwells within us, let us do all things so that we may
be his temples and he may be our God within us, and since he is and will be present
before us, by these means let us rightly love him."

I see "PANTA" as the antecedent to "EX hWN,"  and read both POIWMEN AND AGAPWMEN as
hortatory.

Bill Rodgers