Re: Tit 1:1-2

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 21:02:35 EST

Brian Swedburg wrote;

> Greetings! I am attempting to sort out the use of KATA twice in
>Titus 1:1, and the use of EPI in 1:2.
>PAULOS DOULOS QEOU APOSTOLOS DE IHSOU XRISTOU KATA PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU
>KAI EPIGNWSIN ALHQEIS THS KAT EUSEBEIAN EP ELPIDI ZWHS AIWNIOU...
>Actually, my present paper involves articulating the meassage and themes
>of Titus as a literary whole. The correct interpretation of these first
>verses seems key to the task at hand!
> Having consulted some lexicons and grammers, I think the following
>translation is possible, and I will explain my reasoning after. Then, I
>would love your feedback and gentle criticism!
>Paul, servant of God and apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's
>chosen and the knowledge of the truth which is for godliness in hope of
>eternal life...
>So, I have translated both occurences of KATA as functioning to indicate
>purpose, and the EPI as functioning to indicate cause. I think this is
>grammatically possible, and seems in keeping with the author's desire to
>call the elders and the young and old to godliness in keeping with the
>faith. See also 2:11-13 which I understand to say something to the effect
>of ' The saving grace (Christ) has appeared, teaching us to live godly
>lives, encouraged by the hope Christ will return'
>Please note, my explanation has been an attempt at contextualizing the
>grammatical questions in the literature as a whole. I am not making
>theological commentary, just suggesting a unifying theme.
>So, what do you all think?

PAULOS DOULOS QEOU APOSTOLOS DE IHSOU XRISTOU KATA PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU KAI
EPIGNWSIN ALHQEIS THS KAT EUSEBEIAN EP ELPIDI ZWHS AIWNIOU...

I consider that in the NT KATA with the accusative functions in one of
three ways. 1) distributive "along the way" or "two by two." 2) the
specialized use that seems to indicate possession, KAQ' hUMAS "your own"
poets (Acts 17:28), or 3) showing reference or relationship. This last is
what I see in Titus 1:1. . . . "apostle of Jesus Christ in reference to
faith in the election of God and knowledge of the truth in reference to
Godliness based upon the hope of eternal life." I think you would be hard
pressed to show that KATA with the accusative was used in the NT to
indicate purpose. EIS plus the accusative is commonly used for that.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net