Second position

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 10:05:40 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
I've been trying to recall the technical syntactic term that refers to when
a word appears in second position (second word) in a sentence. I recall
(that is, I know it's stored somewhere in my aging memory cells!) from my
linguistic studies that there is such a term and that many languages have
certain classes of words, typically conjunctions and adverbs, that appear
there. Greek GAR and DE typically appear in second position. I seem to
recall that the technical term is something like Hungsternagel's Position,
but that could be way off.

Anyone else know the term?

Or is there a different term used by Greek scholars for second position?

Thanks,
Wayne