Second position

From: Wayne Leman (
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 12:29:41 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>After quite a bit of sleuthing on the Internet, I answered my own question
and located the linguistic term I was looking for which refers to syntactic
second position, it is Wackernagel's Position.

Greek postpositives exemplify this position. I suspect they do so even if it
superficially appears that they are the 3rd or 4th element in a clause. In
such cases, there is a good chance that they are still in *syntactic* second
position, if we diagram the syntactic units.

For anyone interested, here is the webpage where I located the term I was
trying to retrieve: