Re: Quirk et al., Clauses, and Greek Syntax

From: Steven Craig Miller (
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 14:51:24 EST

<x-flowed>To: Carl W. Conrad, Wayne Leman, et al.,

My mistake. I apologize for this, but unfortunately my head appears to have
been in a fog all day long. Quirk et al. refers to these as "elements of
the clause." So what I should have asked was:

I'm reading "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" by Randolph
Quirk et al. (1985), and they suggest that there are five primary elements
of a clause, which they refer to as: (a) subject, (b) verb, (c) object, (d)
complement, and (e) adverbial. I would guess that no one has written a
Greek grammar which analyzes Greek clauses using these five categories, but
I wonder would there be any problems in someone doing such? Would it make
sense to analyze Greek clauses using these five categories? Does anyone
have any thoughts on this?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad