Re: "In the beginning was the word" (Jn 1:1a)

Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:59:58 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2000 3:26:06 PM Central Daylight Time, writes:

 The only thing I have "against it" (to use your phrase) is simply that it
 is possible that the English term "utterance" might do a better job of
 expressing the author's intent at John 1:1 than the English term "word."
 Also, I suspect that, even in other passages where we find the English term
 "word," it does not refer to a "word" (in its narrow sense) but is most
 commonly used metaphorically. For example, at Mark 2:2, we find: << ... and
 he was speaking the word to them >> (Mark 2:2d NRSV). I think it fairly
 obvious that here TON LOGON refers to a spoken message. Mark 2:2d might be
 better translated as: "... and he was speaking the message to them."

Of course, the rub is that even in English the term "word" does not always
signify a series of letters bounded by spaces on either side. This is true in
every language. To prescriptively limit the use of "word" to a written form
is to disable the language much as those who wish to impose a politically
correct understanding of the word "man" and substitute "person."