Re: "In the beginning was the word" (Jn 1:1a)

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 17:36:40 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2000 5:00:42 PM Central Daylight Time, wleman@mcn.net
writes:

<<
>Of course, the rub is that even in English the term "word" does not always
>signify a series of letters bounded by spaces on either side.

 George, I'm having difficulty thinking of any natural usage of English,
 other than in that subdialect of English called "theological language" (or
 "church jargon") where "word" clearly means anything other a linguistic
 unit, the smallest utterable portion of speech. Can you think of any example
 sentences where English "word" would have any other meaning, and post a few
 of them here?

I was specifically thinking of a spoken word which is by its very nature not
bounded by spaces -- this use is equivalent to "utterance." Besides this you
have such statements as "I need to have a word with you." Everyone knows
that one word is not the intended exchange. Need I continue?

gfsomsel