Re: "rejoiced within myself"

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 10:28:23 EST

Jim West replied:

>Wayne L. opined that the subject line phrase was unclear- and then informed
>us that he was from the West Coast and spoke the english native there. He
>then went on to ask that I clarify this phrase-
>
>So- in an effort to make it clear to someone who speaks the english
peculiar
>to California, let me suggest the following:
>
>"um, dudes, I was like so very stoked!"

Jim, as I said I speak *standard* West Coast English. I don't speak Valley
Girl English, or a variation of it, such as what you've just given. Standard
West Coast English is quite similar to Standard Midwest English.

>Does that help, Wayne?

No, sorry, Jim.

  Personally I think "rejoiced within myself" makes
>emminent good sense-

I respect your opinion, Jim, but I still don't know what it means.

 much more than any other rendering; but I realize we
>have to translate for our target audience.

For sure, so now would you please translate the phrase into standard
American English that I can understand. I'm your target audience. I really
do want to know what "within myself" means. I know what "about myself"
means, as in:

"I was bragging about myself after I kicked 7 field goals in the game last
night"

I know what "for myself" means as in:

"I made this new grandfather clock for myself"

But I don't know what "within myself" means.

I further think that there are
>very few people who do not know what the phrase "I rejoiced within myself"
>means.

Here's the challenge then: do an empirical study, an objective comprehension
test with a wide range of speakers. Ask them:

1. Have you ever heard this phrase?
2. Does it sound like grammatical and natural English to you?
3. What do you think it means or might mean?

For more on comprehension testing, see my translation glossary entry at URL:

http://www.mcn.net/~wleman/glossco.htm#comprehension

As *for* (not "within") myself, I still don't know what your phrase means,
and I really would like to know.

Would you please try again, attempting to restate the English meaning of
"within myself" so that I and those millions like me who do not understand
that phrase will know what you mean by it?

If we are going to translate Greek so average, fluent speakers of English
(I'm one of them) can understand the English translation, we need to do so
in a way that it fits the grammar, lexicon, and discourse patterns of the
language as they use it. Otherwise, we are using English words with Greek
syntax and our target English audience still cannot understand the meaning
of the original Greek text.

Looking forward to learning what "within myself" means,
thanks in advance,
Wayne