From: Paul Schmehl (
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 22:53:40 EST

English is replete with transliterated words, and yet English has a
vocabulary larger by far than any other language.

While I don't mean to imply that LOGOS is the correct way to handle
this particular problem, I couldn't help but notice that you used "hoi
polloi" in your post. Sometimes, translation doesn't do justice to a
word or phrase, and so the culture absorbs the transliterated term
(and the understanding of what it means) rather than lessen its
impact. Chutzpah, forte, hoi polloi; they're all words imported into
our language because they carry with them nuance's of meaning that
require entire phrases to properly translate (Paul Schmehl)
Technical Support Services Manager