Re: importance of audio/oral

From: Steven Craig Miller (
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 07:11:26 EST

<x-flowed>To: Warren Fulton,

<< . If the goal is fluency, why cut off 99% of the authentic opportunities
existing today to hear and speak Koine Greek? The language of the NT is
sung, recited, read aloud, and used in dialogue in the Orthodox Church. Its
closest living relative, Modern Greek, is another eminently accessible
vehicle to practice fluency. >>

You seem to be suggesting that one should just go ahead and learn modern
Greek, or do I misunderstand you?

Does anyone sell audio tapes of the NT as would be read by the Orthodox
Greek Church? Would this be the same as a modern Greek pronunciation? Does
anyone sell tapes of classical authors with a modern Greek pronunciation?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad