Re: Semesters in Greek

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 12:47:19 EST

At 11:59 AM -0600 3/19/00, Tony Stark wrote:
>Greetings to all and thanks for your help in the past.
>How many semesters of Greek is needed or required in a college course?
>Those who are teachers,what would you require of your students before
>letting them loose in the world?
>I ask this question because, Some have said in the past- 4 semesters, 5
>semesters, etc. Can you please give me some idea of what is required.
> THANKS...............Tony Stark :-)

This may vary from one school to the next. At Washington U in St. Louis we
will give credit for one semester of Greek, but it doesn't make any sense
to take only one semester of any language; a language requirement that
doesn't call for at least two years is hardly worth having. It really does
depend on the school, but I think that most schools would expect you to do
at least two full years if you're serious.

><< If on the other hand
> you're looking for enough Greek to use lexicon and the TDNT for Biblical
> study, you'll need a couple of semesters. >>
>One reason for asking this question is to avoid the abuse of the language
>which is talked about frequently on this list. (Learning enough greek to
>use greek bible and do exegesis. I guess?) Thanks again. Tony Starks

You mean, the danger of knowing "just enough Greek to be dangerous"! That
is, not enough to be cognizant of how much one does NOT know.

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 WWW: