Re: Semesters in Greek

From: l. j. swain (x99swain@wmich.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 12:43:30 EST

Tony Stark wrote:

> In a message dated 3/19/00 12:02:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> x99swain@wmich.edu writes:
>
> << If on the other hand
> you're looking for enough Greek to use lexicon and the TDNT for Biblical
> study, you'll need a couple of semesters. >>
>
> One reason for asking this question is to avoid the abuse of the language
> which is talked about frequently on this list. (Learning enough greek to
> use greek bible and do exegesis. I guess?) Thanks again. Tony Starks
> :-)
>
> ---

In that case, I would say the first place to begin is that teachers of
first semester Greek must inculcate an attitude and approach to the
language in their students that isn't simply an equation of Find the
Elements, Plug Elements into Formula, viola, we have translated Greek.
Too often basic level language courses treat language like math.

That having been said, I still vote for a good classical education and a
good dose of historical linguistics (a little item that Jim West has
already pointed out this morning), learn classical Greek, learn how the
language changes in lexicography, orthography, morphology, semantics,
and syntax from classical to Hellenistic, differences in LXX, NT, and
early Patristics. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL DO NOT VIEW THE LANGUAGE
AND MASTERING THE LANGUAGE AS MERE VEHICLE TO GET AT THE TEXT-that in my
view is CRIMINAL, but I may overstate the case. ;)

Finally, to be a good BEGINNING exegete I would say a minimum of 3 years
of language study. First year is grammar, second year is getting into
the texts, third year, is moving beyond mere translation to seeing and
understanding nuance and context, and pulling it apart to see what it
really says, discern the flavor.

That's my .02

Larry Swain