Re: A question from a novice!

From: Steven Craig Miller (
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 09:53:20 EST

<x-flowed>To: Peter Osborne,

<< I have a question on the definition of AGAPH: What distinguishes this
word from other Greek words meaning love? From its usage in 1 John 3:16 and
elsewhere, I have always connected this word with self-sacrifice or self
denial. However hardly any lexicons I have used seem to make this link. >>

That the cognate AGAPAW does not always refer to "self-sacrifice" can be
illustrated from John 3:16.

"For God so loved [HGAPHSEN] the world that he gave his only Son ..." (John
3:16a NRSV).

The point here is that the sacrifice is God's "Son."

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad