Re: A question from a novice!

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 08:55:32 EST

At 08:10 PM 3/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a question on the definition of AGAPH: What distinguishes this word
>from other Greek words meaning love? From its usage in 1 John 3:16 and
>elsewhere, I have always connected this word with self-sacrifice or self
>denial. However hardly any lexicons I have used seem to make this link. Am
>I correct in believing that AGAPH is self-denying love and this is what
>distinguishes it from other Greek words for love?

there are a variety of words in Greek that are translated "love" in english-
each with various shades of meaning.

eros = possessiveness, selfish love, sexual love.
philos = communal, brotherly love.
philanthropia = love of humanity.
storgh = love for ones immediate family; the love of parents for children
and children for parents.
agaph = selfless love, self sacrificing love, self giving love which
requires no reciprocation.

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD