Re: Was: "a question from a novice"

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 13:19:05 EST

At 11:10 AM 3/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I am way over my head here; a lay lurker who hasn't been in a Greek class
>for more than 20 years.
>That said, I'm going to take the liberty of introducing a slight change of
>direction here. Given all of the extremely informative insights in this
>thread, how do we fit a couple verses into the mix?
>
>John 5:20 hO GAR PATHR FILEI TON hUION ...

the father befriends the son...

>John 16:27 AUTOS GAR hO PATHR FILEI hUMAS ...

the father befriends us...

>If I have butchered the transliteration, please overlook that and just move
>to the meat of the question. I guess I'm asking how this fits into Jim
>West's heirarchy, as well as the discussion Carl Conrad passed along from
>Louw & Nida.

i see no problem at all in saying that the father befriends either jesus or
us. i also dont see this as undermining what you have characterized as my
"hierarchy".

>Thank you for bearing with my ignorance.

not ignorance at all! an excellent, genuinely excellent, question. Ask
more and participate a lot- thats what makes this kind of list enjoyable.

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net