Re: Septuagint lexicons

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 15:15:58 EST

<x-flowed>At 20:11 24/03/00, Darrell Jachim-Moore wrote:
>I'm looking to purchase a lexicon for the Septuagint. Could some of you
>with more knowledge of the area please suggest some pros/cons on the
>Hatch/Redpath and Liddell-Scott works? Or, perhaps there is one I haven't
>yet considered. I

Lust, J., E. Eynekel, and K. Hauspie. A Greek-English Lexicon of the
Septuagint. Part I A-I Part II K-W . Stuttgar Deutsche
Bibelgesellschaft, 1992-97.

and since you say: >>with primary interest in the Hebrew scriptures a>>
I would recommend:

Muraoka, Takamitsu. Hebrew/Aramaic Index to the Septuagint. Keyed to to the
Hatch-Redpath Concordance. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1998.

[ this is indexed by Hebrew words, with the range of Greek words used in
translation; even in you're not going to use it in conjunction with H-R, I
think you will find it very useful. And it's not expensive --- $25 from, I see

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger ]