Re: Junia an Apostle or Junia considered prominent by the Apostles?

From: Paul Schmehl (
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 16:14:50 EST

<x-charset Windows-1252>This brings up a question that I have wondered about for a while -
namely, how does one translate/understand Greek prepositions? I'm
well aware they are translated in many different ways depending upon
the context, but I've often felt that they ought to retain at least
some semblance of their root meaning if they are to be correctly

Carl (and others who are obviously the experts in Greek here), this
particular "problem" seems to me to be easily solved by understanding
the root meaning of EN; "in and remaining in" or "inside of

EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS then, would mean that Junia was "in" the apostles,
as in "counted among them" or "one of them" or "inside the group of
those called apostles" if you will. (Others may decide if Junia was a
man or a woman, and I'll leave the theological arguments to those for
whom the difference is important.)

Note, I do not mean to say that EN should always be translated "in" or
"inside" but merely that one should always have that understanding in
view when searching for an appropriate word in translation.

Am I deluding myself to think that prepositions can be understood in
this way as a general rule? (I know, the only rule of Greek is that
there are no rules.) Should the root meaning always influence the
final choice of receptor language word? Or can we ignore the root
meanings in some cases? (Paul Schmehl)
Technical Support Services Manager