Re: 1Thes 4:4 Can SKEUOS be used as a euphemism for male genitalia?

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 16:23:24 EST

On Fri 31 Mar 2000 (17:27:00), wrote:
> 1 Peter 3:7 Ye husbands, in like manner, dwell with your wives
> according to knowledge, giving honor unto the female vessel, as weaker.

 My first-year Greek teacher was the late Kenneth Grayston. He used to tell
 us that SKEUOS was a general utility word, meaning anything whose name
 you couldn't think of or didn't wish to spell out precisely: "It's a
 'wotsit', a 'whatchermacallit' or a 'thingummyjig'" he opined. Think of
 Chuck Berry's "dingaling" perhaps...

 JA Bengel, the "Commentators' Commentator", in his Gnomon Novi Testamenti
 says that SKEUOS in 1 Thess 4:4 means /membrum virile/, the penis. Some
 say it means 'wife', as in 1 Peter 3:7; but these two occurrences of
 SKEUOS only illustrate the general utility nature of the word. My wife
 would certainly NOT like to be referred to as a "vessel" for me to "keep".

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF