Re: doulos

From: Charles Skallerud (karolus@wf.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 06:48:02 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Thomas
Thanks very much for your comments. I started this discussion but was too
busy to make a proper reply to the several objections. I heartily agree
with your analysis. The harshness of the term is entirely in keeping with
the institution. By translating doulos as 'slave' we keep the radical
nature of Paul's thought in the forefront. It is true that 'servant' is
more pleasing to our ears but that is exactly the problem. This aspect of
Paul's thinking is not meant to be pleasing. While there are differences
between modern and ancient forms of slavery, the profound and decisive
similarity is that in both cases one human being is the property of another
human being. To grasp Paul's thought in Greek and English this reality must
be faced squarely.

cs