Re: Acts 2:38 -- umwn

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 19:40:23 EDT

Dear Ron,
     You write:

>Perhaps someone can help me with Acts 2:38. I have read all the
>correspondence on this subject from 1997. However, I didn't find anything
>dealing with the last word of the verse--UMWN. Is there any significance
>in the fact that it is UMWN instead of AUTOU, which would agree with
>EKASTOS? If anyone can give me some insight, please do.

     Perhaps you do not mean the last word of the verse. I think that a
grammarian would classify EKASTOS UMWN as involving a partitive genitive.
We do the same thing in English: "Let each of you be baptized." "Each" is
the subject of the verb, and "each" is a part of the larger whole, "you."
Does this answer the question?

                                Harold Holmyard