Genesis 1.2 epefereto

From: Daniel Scott Monroe (
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 19:00:22 EDT

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am puzzled by epefereto of Genesis 1.2. Middle Liddell has "to bring,
lay, put upon," as well as "to attack." I feel that epiforew and epifora
must indicate the direction in which to expand epiferw: Lampe renders
epifora as "impact, attack," but allows a gentler "divine visitation,"
whereas epiforew parallels epiferw in meaning "to put upon," but departs in
indicating "to make pregnant." Does anyone have anything more solid?
Faithfully, Dan Monroe