APOSTASIA

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 23:53:34 EDT

Stephen,

I should have to report this one thing: your reply was
well-done. I especially like what you said: "Wuest is
well-known for his exegetical fallacies." When I
first started studying Greek, I used Wuest's _Word
Studies in the Greek New Testament_. I found out
quickly that they are COMPLETELY colored by
presupposition and opinion. I did learn some
interesting things from them, but in the end they
turned out to be rather useless.

I would agree that his analysis of this verse (2
Thess. 2.3) is incorrect and that "rebellion" is
definitely in view. It was stated by Robert that this
is "contextual nonsense," but the entire context is
dealing with the appearance of "the man of
lawlessness" (vv. 3-4,6-8) and the deception of the
world (vv. 9-12). Whatever is meant, the context
DEFINITELY fits for rebellion. I do not see how this
can be construed as "contextual nonsense."

Jason

=====
hOUTWS GAR HGAPHSEN hO QEOS TON KOSMON,
hWSTE TON hUION TON MONOGENH EDWKEN,
hINA PAS hO PISTEUWN EIS AUTON MH APOLHTAI
ALL' ECHi ZWHN AIWNION. (John 3:16)