AUTWN AUTOI ... AUTOI AUTWN

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 01:08:04 EDT

<x-flowed>

Question about: OTI AUTWN (of them) and OTI AUTOI (they)

Passage: Matthew 5:3 - 12

Issue: Is the conspicuous placement of these pronouns significant?

I noticed in the beatitudes that both blessings related to the Kingdom of
the Heavens (plural?)
have AUTWN, but the other beatitudes have AUTOI. Assuming verses 11 and 12
further
modify verse 10 (since each contains DIWKW), it seems that the first of the
eight beatitudes
and the last one both have AUTWN, making them somewhat “bookends” to the
several
AUTOI (I note that the UBS Edition 3 structures it this way also).

Does this “enclosure” have any syntactical implications?

Sincerely,

B. J. Williamson