NOT FOR B-GREEK: Anti-Semitic translation tendency in the NIV?

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 20:56:45 EDT

At 8:29 PM -0400 5/20/00, Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. (cand.) wrote:
>Im trying to dig up the evidence for a claim one of my profs once made:
>that the NIV has anti-Semitic tendencies. I hope that is translation
>question is not off topic for the list. Apologies if it is.

I really DON'T think this is an appropriate topic for B-Greek: you might
take it to B-Translation. It is an interesting question, but I think the
question ought first to be raised whether the NT itself has at least some
passages that lend themselves to an anti-Semitic interpretation--that is to
say, it may not be simply a matter of translation.

BUT this is a question that is raised about a translation, not about the
Greek text, and I think it really is out of order to discuss it on B-Greek.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List
Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 OR