From: Jim West (
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 07:38:10 EDT

At 07:15 AM 5/28/00 +0000, you wrote:
>The feminine form of PRESBUTEROS appears at 1 Tim 5:2; could this be a
>reference to female ministry or merely an "elder woman"; the context does
>not make this clear (to me but it's early in the morning here). There have
>been catacomb inscriptions found with the feminine form. More importantly
>does it appear eleswehere in the NT in feminine form?

it does indeed refer to women elders. cf rom 16:1ff. that women did in
fact occupy positions of leadership in the early church has been amply
demonstrated in the little book titled "When Women Were Priests".

" The righteous man looks after his own soul, and the bodies of others,
whereas the hypocrite looks after his own body, and the souls of others"
Rabbi Lionel Blue

Jim West, ThD