Re: Ephesians 4:11

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 11:00:41 EDT

<x-flowed>
Mark:

You wrote:

>Ephesians 4:11 reads:
>
>KAI AUTOS EDWKEV TOUS MEN APOSTOLOUS, TOUS DE PROFHTAS, TOUS DE
>EUAGGELISTAS, TOUS DE POIMENAS KAI DIDASKALOUS
---------

You may want to check the archives for previous discussions
on this issue.

I think we can conclude that this construction here does
not equate POIMENAS KAI DIDASKALOUS. Syntactically, you can
not invoke any grammatical rule that would demonstrate
that pastors and teachers are one-and-the-same here.

What I think is being expressed is the teaching function of
pastors, since the context is the maturing of the saints.

Our growth (or maturing) is produced by the Word, which we
are to "eat" three times a day :o ) That is why I believe
the idea being expressed here is teaching-pastors, or
pastors in their teaching function.

Respectfully,

B. J. Williamson