Re: Omega vs. Omicron

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:37:14 EDT

:

Frank, Wayne and Carl,

For the sake of argument lets just accept the the notion that:

on 06/05/00 12:13 PM, Frank W. Hughes wrote:

> . . .in the period of
> the NT there was little if any distinction in pronunciation between EI
> and I and H and the same was true of O and W. In other words the
> shorter vowels lengthened to have much the same values as the long
> vowels.

If this is the case then every time we run into a form like TON/TWN or
-ON/-WN as a suffix or any other case where the O/W distinction has Emic
significance in the written language, then we probably need to do some
textual criticism because we would know that this distinction didn't exist
in the spoken language and if it didn't exist in the spoke language then
those scribes who were being dictated two (to, too) would be likely to get
it wrong.

Enough again.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew