Re: Wine

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 13:38:59 EDT

<x-flowed>
Dr. Young:

Here is my take...

If we concede the four-fold usage of Ward Powers' stance on OINOS,
which I understood him to mean OINOS as it occured in the
first century, not just the NT, then one is only left
with the context to decide.

I believe someone on this list had indicated (s)he felt the
changing of water to wine was "grape juice." I presume if some
care to dispute this, they must summon a defense within that
context.

I would venture to guess that many might offer an occurrence
of non-alcoholic OINOS in Paul's admonishment to Timothy to
take a bit of OINOS for whatever it was that was bothering
his stomach. The intent not being for Tim to sneak a nip now
and again, but to partake of this OINOS for stomach ailment.

I hesitate to mention that I heard a teacher assert that the
taking of OINOS for stomach ailments was also a remedy that
children would on occasion consume. I hesitate to mention this
only because this teacher was not often obliged to support
his contentions by citing original sources.

I also mention this statement concerning children to see if others
on this list have run across such an occurrence.

Repectfully,

B. J. Williamson