Re: suffering through Hermas

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 15:03:13 EDT

<x-flowed>At 16:18 12/06/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:
>In Shepherd 76:4 (not in Lake's edition, which has a different text
>here)

Yes, I see that:
Osiek, Carolyn, and Helmut Koester. Ed. Shepherd of Hermas: A Commentary.
Minneapolis: Fortress, 1999.
regards this as the " preferred manuscript " and translates it:
>>some of them suffer and willingly endure , knowing what they had done "
with the note: " where their suffering is to be considered redemptive, as
against their sins "

>we read TINES DE EX AUTWN KAI PAQOUNTAI KAI hHDEWS QLIBONTAI ....,
>something like, "but some of them both suffer and are gladly
>afflicted." Well, I guess. What is the form PAQOUNTAI?

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie