Re: Wine

From: L. J. Swain (
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 12:23:23 EDT

Bill Ross wrote:

> <Dmitri>
> ...Grapes only ripen once a year and grape juice wasn't frozen, canned, bottled, preserve with chemicals or in any other way I know
> of other than with alcohol produced by fermentation in the first century.
> <Bill>
> I believe that it was possible (as it is now, of course), to refrigerate grape juice in a running stream. This is not intended as confirming or denying grape juice vs wine, only offered as something to consider.
> Bill Ross

This only works if the water is actually cool, and Mediterranean rivers and streams are not known for their chill factor---certainly cooler than standing in the hot sun, but cool enough to prevent quick
fermentation? I have my doubts, but I suppose its possible.

Larry Swain

Larry Swain
Assistant to the Publisher
Old English Newsletter
Medieval Institute, Western Michigan University
1201 Oliver St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49006
(616) 387-8832