Re: speaking of lexicons

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 09:10:29 EDT

Actually BAGD only has SOME of the LXX words (those that reoccur in the NT
and the Apostolic Fathers). The only real lexicon to the LXX is _A
Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint_, by J. Lust, E. Eynikel and K.
Hauspie published in two volumes (1992, 1996) by Deutsche Bibelgellschaft.
Most of us use this and supplement it with Liddel and Scott.

At 08:17 AM 6/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>At 07:38 AM 6/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>There was recently some talk of lexicons on this list. Although I have
>>the Liddel & Scott Greek-English Lexicon, a Homeric Dictionary and some
>>other insignificant sources, I am now becoming absorbed in learning to
>>read Biblical Greek. I've become a little frustrated finding a suitable
>>lexicon. I have searched the Internet and have visited and talked with
>>some local booksellers. After reading some reviews I came across, "A
>>Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian
>>Literature" Frederick W. Danker (Editor), Walter Bauer
>>Is anyone familiar with this work? I am lost. Can anyone offer some
>>suggestions? And, what is available as a reference to the Septuagint? Any
>>suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>I think nearly everyone who works on translating NT texts is familiar with
>this volume. It is the standard lexicon and should be owned by anyone
>working with the NT. It also includes words found in the LXX (since the LXX
>is considered a part of the early Christian movements "bible"- and hence
>"other early Christian Literature").
>Survey data shows that 98% of Jews approved Janet Reno's retrieval of Elian
>Gonzalez. They know what it is like to be trapped in Miami with relatives.
>Jim West, ThD
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to
Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)