[b-greek] Re: perfect PROISTHMI...

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 06:41:25 EDT

At 11:37 AM +0200 7/6/00, Roe wrote:
>In 1Tim 5:17, we see PROISTHMI in the perfect tense:
>
> hOI KALWS PROESTWTES PRESBUTEROI...
>
>Why do most (all?) versions translate PROISTHMI in the present tense
>here?

Because the perfect tense of hISTHMI/hISTAMAI (and its compounds) provides
the only means of indicating that something is NOW standing as a result of
completion of the process indicated by the present-tense form:

        PROISTHMI = I am in the process of putting X in charge (of Y)
        PROISTAMAI = I am in process of being put in charge (of Y)

        PROESTHKA = I have come to be put in charge (of Y) = I AM in charge

The perfect forms hESTHKA (and compounds) and OIDA (and compounds) do
regularly carry the force of present tenses because, as STATIVES, they
indicate the STATE currently obtaining.