[b-greek] Re: GNT monoply

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 16:26:56 EDT

on 09/12/00 9:12 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> It would be nice to have a GNT which is published just for reading, no
> notations, no front matter, no dictionaries, no textual apparatus. Just nice
> big plain type with simple paragraphs (no headings). I wonder if Hendrickson
> or some other good publisher could get the rights to the UBS4/NA27 text and
> print a text for reading. I find reading the NA27 a bother due to all the
> symbols inbedded in the text. For this reason I always print off a loose leave
> version of any book I am going to study.

A lean and mean GNT (NT text only) could be improved in several ways from
the NA27. The paper could be heavier with higher opacity so you would not
see type from several pages away. The right-hand margin could be a little
ragged so that we would not have to look at words split after the first
letter (NA27!).

If it is too much expense or trouble to get the rights to the text of NA27
one could just use W&H as a base text and have a small team NT scholars make
a few "corrections" to W&H and this would permit you do break the strangle
hold that GBS has on the GNT which amounts to a monopoly, since the
competition is essentially non-existent.

It would be nice to have a real alternative to the GBS products but unless
we want to go with the Majority Text or the TR one is now more or less stuck
with NA27/UBSGNT4.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point