[b-greek] Re: Textual variant at 2 John 1:9

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 13:42:16 EDT

At 12:22 PM 9/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I would appreciate any help with the following...
>First question:
>In my Bible software (Teacher's Bible Companion), I noticed that there is a
>difference between the UBS GNT and the Textus Receptus at 2 John 1:9. The
>GNT has "proagwn", and the TR has "parabainwn". However, when I looked this
>passage up in my UBS GNT 4th ed., I was surprised that the variant was not
>even noted.

Thats why Nestle/Aland is better. ;-)

anyway- heres the evidence:
proagwn- aleph, a, b, 0232 vg co
parabainwn- p, psi, maj, sy

as far as external criteria are concerned, proagwn is older, more widely
attested, and more difficult (as you rightly sense). because its more
difficult it is more likely that a scribe would simplify it (as the majority
of texts do- as the evidence shows) than that he would make it more complex.
hence, in my opinion, proagwn is the reading to be preferred.

>Could anyone please tell me about this variant from a manuscript standpoint?
>Does it not show up in the notes because the evidence is overwhelmingly in
>favor of "proagwn"?

see above. i think ubs 4 doesnt list it for that very reason. the evidence
is overwhelming in support of proagwn (save for those who favor the
byzantine tradition).

>Second question:
>What do you think the meaning of "proagwn" is in this verse? The literal
>meaning would be "go before" or "lead forth". Is it talking about someone
>who leads/teaches others into false doctrine about Christ?

the verb can also mean precede. here it most likely describes those who "go
to far" in their teaching.

"I like to eat lettuce, but I always eat only the heart; in my opinion the
leaves are for the pigs" S. Kierkegaard.

Jim West, ThD