[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor 3:18

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 13:44:06 EDT

<x-flowed>
>Subject: [b-greek] 2 Cor 3:18
>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:17:34 -0700
>
>Greetings,

>What do you think are the possible understandings of the phrase APO
>DOXHS EIS DOXAN in this passage? As a prepositional phrase modifying
>METAMORFOUMEQA, how might I reasonably understand this construction?
>Any similar expressions on Koine or hellenistic Greek?
>
>Many Thanks
>Brian Swedburg
>Student

Brian:

I think based on this passage, two options should be given some
consideration, and not be thought of as wholly distinct.

Regarding APO DOXHS EIS DOXAN

1. "an ever-increasing glory"

The transformation process leads us ever closer to reflecting God's glory,
little by little. Man's original reflection of God's glory was lost at the
Fall.

2. "from one glory (of Christ) to another glory (of the believer)"

The glory of Christ is "reflected" by the believer as the transformation
process transforms him more into the image of Christ. That is, man was
originally in the image of God, which I think reflected in some sense God's
glory. As the believer undergoes the transformation process, an
ever-increasing reflection of that glory, lost at the Fall, is slowly
restored as we reflect Christ.

I would find some parallel in structure here to Romans 1:17.

Regards,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.