[b-greek] Re: Mounce NIV English-GNT

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 16:29:09 EST

on 11/04/00 12:09 PM, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:

> An
> interlinear is a useful tool if you want to get a good feel for *exactly*
> what the words in a particular passage mean, and know little Greek.

Does this not amount to a contradiction?

The more one studies Ancient Greek (8th Cent. BC to 1st AD) the less likely
one will be to claim to know " *exactly* what the words in a particular
passage mean." I suspect that this is one of the reasons that interlinear
texts are frowned on by NT Greek Professors. They give the *extreme* novice
a false sense of "working in the original language."

This new book is more counter productive than a standard interlinear since
you lose the word order of the Greek text. But there is a market for books
like this, a very big market and that is what drives projects like this.
Zondervan is a marketing company and they have a small stable where the keep
and feed their Greek reference book authors. As long as they keep cranking
out marketable books the get their bag of oats every day.

When I was in second grade my parents bought me a 24" bicycle which was so
big that I could not begin to reach the peddles. I learned to ride a bike on
a neighbor girl's mini-bike with training wheels. When my legs were long
enough I started riding my own bike. This is what interlinears are all
about. They are training wheels. The quicker you get rid of them the better.