[b-greek] Re: Repeat Question

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 20:51:41 EST

At 08:22 PM 11/6/00 -0500, you wrote:

>The translators of the LXX used the term "husband" (ANHR), in Prov.
>31:31, instead of "deeds," or "works," which I understand is the term
>used in all Hebrew texts. I'm curious to hear theories as to how they
>made that error. I am told that there is no similarity between the
>Hebrew terms for husband and works, so it seems unlikely that one would
>have been confused with the other. Any thoughts?

there isnt a shred of textual evidence that i can find in either the hebrew
text or the LXX which justifies the LXX's change here. none of the
commentaries i have note the variant and no one says a word about it.

this means either
a) everyone already knows the answer to the question except us ted;
or
b) no one knows the answer and thus they avoid the question.

i vote b- but thats just foolish pride on my part.

best,

jim

"If life gives you a bowl of lemons, go find an annoying guy
with paper cuts. Make it worthwhile!"
     - Jack Handey

Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest