[b-greek] Re: The Minister and His Greek NT

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 15:36:02 EST

A quote from John Piper's article:

> And most
> seminaries‹evangelical as well as liberal‹have
> communicated by their curriculum emphases that learning
> Greek and Hebrew well is merely optional for the pastoral
> ministry.

This called to mind a friend of mine from the early '70s, I will call him
Dave. Dave was a pastor's son. His father* was a mover and shaker in his

Dave was headed for seminary and he was absolutely convinced that study of
languages was a serious waste of time. After Dave was admitted to Denver
Seminary he wrote a research paper on the use of Greek and Hebrew in the
ministry and presented it to Vernon Grounds (President of Denver) along with
a few other people. He wanted to graduate without doing any language study.
Dave won the battle, he studied no languages, and went on to be a pastor.

That is the end of the story.

What is the point of the story?
That is for you to decide.

*Do not assume that Dave's father was a member of the denomination which was
associated in the 70's with Denver seminary. This in fact was not the case.